Sunday, August 14, 2011


5:40 pm
Don't I look happy?  Thats because I have no idea what is in store for me.  At this point my contractions were getting pretty close together, around every 4-5 minutes and Andrew finally convinced me it was time to go to the hospital.

6:00pm By the time we got to the hospital (15 min later) the contractions were now 3 minutes apart and VERY painful.

 They took us into triage to see if I would be admitted, or sent home.  It was about this time I asked to get the epidural  because there was no way I wanted to miss out on the window of opportunity for a pain free birth.  The nurse asked us questions and monitored contractions for about 30 minutes total.  This process abruptly ended when she checked my cervix to discover I was at a 7.  (10 means the baby comes out).   I was admitted.  I was not a screamer so I think she did not gauge the urgency of the situation.

problem #1 there were no birthing rooms.  too many women were in labor at the same time.
problem #2 I needed a birthing room stat
problem #3 My nurse was not the best at time management, aka she was slow.  really slow.

 6:48 pm I was put into a wheelchair, and by this time tears were running down my cheeks and contractions were every 2 minutes.
problem #4 my nurse still had not sent my bloodwork (results are required prior to epidural)
problem #5 I was taken into a storage/ recovery/office room with no birthing bed or supplies.  There was a regular hospital bed that was going to have to do.
problem #6.  There was someone working in the office part of the room- problem solved- the pulled a curtain across my portion of the room
problem #7  These contractions were unbearable

7:04 pm I pushed a baby out in a storage room with no pain medication at all- yes it hurt a lot.  The midwife barely got there in time to put on gloves.  Literally I had to say "the baby's head is going to come out.  You need to find her NOW!"

This would be about the time I said "I guess you were right we should have left for the hospital sooner"
 Madeline Lucette came out fast and furious, but I am thankful for that because on the bright side, the pain didn't go on for too long.  She was healthy and finally here.
 Big long feet like her sister.  7lbs 2 oz and 19 inches long.  She is tiny!

 We made it through, and now she will have a great story about the day she was born.  Looking back I am dang lucky Andrew finally insisted we go to the hospital otherwise he may have had to pull over on the side of the road to deliver a baby!

 We are home and although exhausted, very happy.  Chloe is already an adorable big sister!  I am sure I have left out a ton of details, but I think I covered the main ones.


Gmom/pop-P.2 said...

If it were not for the last picture, we would think you recycled the pictures of newborn Chloe. They are twins born two years apart! We're not sure yet maybe you photo-shopped Chloe into her old picture.



Amber said...

Yes, they look so much alike! I am super excited to see her in person though (well all of you!). I'm hoping you get a little bit of sleep before then :)

Cyrus said...

Congratulations guys! She is just beautiful! Also, I can't believe how big Chloe has gotten! Looks like I need to get up there to visit asap. I'm glad that you all are healthy and doing well.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the birth of a health baby girl! What a story, so glad all went quickly. We love the name Madeline Lucette and look forward to many more pictures and information.

A Emily and GG Rogers

E-dub said...

YAY Congrats to the Romerdahl family! She is beautiful!

colorchic said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful! I love her name! Sending lots of love and hugs1

sarah said...

she is beautiful! congratulations carmen!

-sarah (amber's friend)

justem said...

Super big congrats! She is gorgeous!! My second flew out like that, too...the midwife actually didn't have time to put on the gloves. ;)

emily (friend of amber and sarah!)

Mary said...

Wow what a birth story!! She is beautiful, and I love the name :-)