Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Advent Calendar done!!

I have been working on this project for entirely too long (about a month!).  When I first had the idea for a Christmas tree advent calendar I searched the web for ideas and of course came to the conclusion that I could do it better than anyone else and it would also be super easy.  A red flag should have gone up, but I somehow forgot how much time it takes to do anything at all , let alone a sewing project, with kids......

I picked out lots of red fabrics for the ornaments.  This was a joint project with Amber who was in charge of making the green ornaments.
Then I designed and cut out all of the iron on decals for each ornament using my always awesome silhouette.
ironed the decals on to the fabric
added sweet white suede ribbon from the ribbon jar (Thanks Julie!!!),
turned the fabric right side in and sewed in circles with a piece of felt for structure
turned right side out
repeat times 24. (23 actually due to an unfortunate cutting mistake).  Then I hand sewed each ornament closed, and made the tree and background on which the ornaments were to hang.  
I found these awesome number buttons at a local store and decided to use them instead of ironing on the number decals I made earlier.  Aside from the total pain it took to hand sew each button, I love how it looks!
 the star is ornament number 25, and goes on for Christmas!
 Here is what the project looks like all done!  Super cute right?!

The "funny" thing is, after all of this work- Chloe wants nothing to do with the advent calendar.  Apparently it isn't very interesting to a 2 1/2 year old.  Swing and a miss, but hopefully next year it will be better received.   You better believe that I am putting on the ornaments each day though!  I love it!  

5 comments:

G-dad-P said...

Impressive, even though I have very little interest in sewing, I can appreciate the quality. Also those numbered pins are a nice touch. Chloe will come around. If not, she can be a bag for next Holloween:-).
G-dad-P

Julia said...

This is so great! I have to do an advent calendar next year for my little one.

Mary said...

It does look super cute!! The number buttons make it even better :-)

Amber said...

Wow this turned out so amazing. I'm glad mine isn't done, so I can copy your finishing. Send me a picture of the back please!

colorchic said...

That looks wonderful! So creative and fun. I would be embarrassed to show you the advent I made when Amber and Brent were young. It was a kit thing and not nearly as cool as yours! Happy Holidays!